[Logiweb] Induction example

Klaus Ebbe Grue grue at diku.dk
Wed Jun 22 10:49:33 CEST 2005

Hi Logiweb at diku.dk,

An example of a proof by induction has been placed at
http://www.diku.dk/~grue/logiweb/20050502/home/grue/peano

A new base page is available at
http://www.diku.dk/~grue/logiweb/20050502/home/grue/base
(the old base pages are still where they used to be, so there is no need
to move to the new one).

The new base page has an updated version of unification which allows e.g.
Aa:Ab:a=>b=>a to be instantiated to b=>b=>b without variable clashes. The
new unification tactic first renames bound meta-variables to fresh
variables and then does what it used to do.

The peano page corrects some errors and, furthermore, gives examples of
hypoothetical reasoning. It also gives examples of facilities that I have
not mentioned at lectures: Macro definitions, local macro defintions, and
proof of theorems with side conditions.

Finally, the page 'cheats': All lemmas I have been too lazy to prove are
stated as rules. That is quite convenient during development. You can do
the same provided (1) that you final delivery does not cheat (2) you copy
the source of the peano page and work on that. You cannot just refer to
the peano page since you cannot add more rules to a theory on another
page.

Have fun

Klaus