[Logiweb] Rule C

Frederik Eriksen frederikeriksen at get2net.dk
Mon May 22 23:27:14 CEST 2006

Hi logiweb at diku.dk,

I'm working with an axiomatic system which is based upon system S from
the "check" page. I've come accross the following problem:

Sometimes in a proof, you want to infer e.g. 'a=a' from Ex.x=x, where
'E' is the existential quantifier, and 'a' is a fresh variable. In
section 2.6 of Mendelson, he introduces a so-called "rule C" to
accomodate this need. He also gives an example of how you can get by
without rule C, but this seems to be a very cumbersome task indeed. How
do you deal with inferences like the above in system S?

Best Regards
Frederik Eriksen.