[Logiweb] Speed concerns

Klaus Ebbe Grue grue at diku.dk
Fri Jun 9 09:13:51 CEST 2006

Hi Frederik

> I've managed to write a .pyk file with a compilation time of about 20-25
> minutes on DIKU's system (four iterations)... Is there any way to speed up
> the process, e.g. if you just want pyk to produce a .pdf file without caring
> about correctness?

pyk -- yourfile -notest

In 'man pyk', -notest is mentioned under 'test=Boolean' since -notest can
also be written ten other ways:
   test=no
   test=false
   test=f
   test=
   -test no
   -test false
   -test f
   --test no
   --test false
   --test f

But note that -notest only suppresses the vericiation (test for
correctness), not the codification (the iterations). The .pdf file
depends on 'tex' and 'tex name' definitions which are collected during
codification so it is not possible to suppress that and still get a .pdf
file.

If the time is spent on the iterations, I can think of the following
courses:

(1) Your pyk file is big (e.g. 1 megabyte)
(2) The machine is heavily loaded
(3) The machine runs many small jobs so that clisp is swapped in and out
     (clisp is vulnerable to this since it accesses RAM at random).
(4) You have defined a macro which takes very long to expand
     (meaning you have defined an 'advanced' macro, not one that uses
     equality with two dots).

-Klaus