[Logiweb] danish letters

Kasper H0st Frederiksen tofu at diku.dk
Tue May 31 11:44:08 CEST 2005

Here is a reply Klaus wrote to an erlier question. Hope this helps.
-Kasper Frederiksen

> 3. Can you make the pyk compiler accept the Danish characters æ, ø and
> å? I tried to put a line saying "\usepackage[danish]{babel}" just
> before "\begin{document}" in my .pyk file, but it didn't work.

No and yes. The compiler can handle arbitrary characters, but a
restriction
on character set has been put on top of it. The restriction is hardwired,
but I intend to move the restriction to a parameter so that users can
declare their own character set. This is non-trivial, however. Allowing to
use æ, ø, and å is trivial, but allowing e.g. Chinese characters is more
difficult since they cannot be encoded in eight bit bytes.

So the answer is: At present, æ, ø, and å must be encoded as {\ae}, {\o},
and {\aa} when it occurs in informal text, and the characters cannot occur
in formal pyk.