[Logiweb] Naming variables in proofs

Frederik Eriksen frederikeriksen at get2net.dk
Sun Jun 5 00:19:06 CEST 2005

Hi logiweb at diku.dk

It seems to me that sometimes it makes a difference how you name the
variables of your proof. For instance, I have tried to prove the
following lemma in the theory "system prime s" from the "peano axioms" page:

For all X, A and B:  X -> A -> B    |-     X -> A     |-     X->B

(Here "->" is "peano imply", while "|-" is "infer"). The proof is just
eight lines, all included: Use"Arbitrary" three times, state the two
premises, instantiate axiom schema A2' appropriately, and use MP' twice.
However, pyk doesn't accept this proof. The diagnosis page says
"Quantifier elimination leads to variable clash" (and some more things
that I don't understand).

The point is that all goes well if I substitute "D" for "X", "E" for "A"
and "F" for "B" in the lemma and the proof, so that I end up proving:

For all D, E and F:  D -> E -> F    |-     D -> E     |-     D->F

Is there a way to get around this problem?

Best Regards
Frederik.