[Logiweb] Editing .pyk files with Windows editors

Klaus Ebbe Grue grue at diku.dk
Wed Jun 1 22:08:10 CEST 2005

> I just want to mention that you might run into a problem if you edit .pyk
> files with a Windows editor like WordPad...
>
> The reason for this error seems to be that Windows and Unix use two
> different character sequences to represent line breaks (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRLF for more about this) and that the pyk
> compiler only accepts the Unix way of linebreaking.

See also the base page, Section 2.2.4:

Internally, Logiweb consistently uses Unicode 10 for the newline
character. Whenever Logiweb runs on a host operating system that uses
another character or character sequence between lines of text, newline
characters have to be translated in the interface between Logiweb and the
operating system.

The purpose is to ensure portability: the character used for newlines must
be fixed *internally* in Logiweb, and newlines must be translated on the
*boundary* to Logiweb. Since Logiweb is not yet ported to Windows, I have
not yet included an option to the pyk compiler for selecting the external
newline sequence.

Klaus